CARBON IS FUNDED!
// Shipping date: May-June 2016 //
CARBON Crowdfunding Campaign
November 5, 2015 to January 4, 2016
Kilpatrick Audio is proud to launch the CARBON crowdfunding campaign to help fund the development and production of this exciting new product! CARBON represents our most ambitious project to date and we hope that you will consider helping us. Your pledge will help us complete the CARBON hardware and software design and ramp up the first production run.
We have years of experience designing and building successful products, including the PHENOL Patchable Analog Synthesizer which was successfully funded through Kickstarter and has been shipping since June 2015. This time we have decided to run our own crowdfunding campaign to avoid some of the challenges we faced as a non-US company working through Kickstarter. This change allows us to have more control over the project and be directly accountable to our backers.
Check out our crowdfunding video to learn more details about CARBON and why we are asking for your help.
Still have questions about CARBON? Contact us and we'd be happy to speak with you.
Rewards provide an excellent value and a chance to enjoy CARBON before they are available in stores. By supporting our CARBON crowdfunding campaign you get to be part of the process! Rewards are built and shipped based on the tier you select. We aim to ship every reward as quickly as possible. Because of how our shipper handles inventory we cannot guarantee sequential serial numbers, or guarantee that backers will receive items in the exact order in which pledges were made. But we will do our best to make sure that the entire delivery process is as fast and efficient as possible. After all, we want you to start enjoying CARBON as soon as you can. Estimated delivery dates are as follows:
- Early Bird - April / May 2016
- First Batch - April / May 2016
- Second Batch - May / June 2016
- Pre-order - June 2016
Some people have asked us why we need to use crowdfunding to make CARBON. Despite our reputation for building high quality and innovative products, we are still a small company that has grown organically without investors. Back in 2009 Kilpatrick Audio founder Andrew Kilpatrick quit his job and sold his apartment so that Kilpatrick Audio could become a full-time business. The learning process continues, and since 2014 we have started to take on more ambitious projects like PHENOL and CARBON with the hopes of bringing great tools to more people.
Big projects come with big costs. Whereas in the past we could make a new synth module for a few thousand dollars and see whether people liked it, making larger products like CARBON requires a lot more engineering, and has very high costs of manufacturing because it can only be efficiently produced in reasonably large batches. Crowdfunding allows us to gauge customer interest, and offer you a great deal in exchange for your generous commitment to the project. The orders we receive during the crowdfunding campaign help to partially fund the design and manufacturing process, and help ensure that we are building a product that people actually want. We take suggestions for features and improvements and are actually able to implement them before the product is released. This means that by supporting CARBON you become part of the project!
Why not use Kickstarter?
We enjoyed using Kickstarter for the PHENOL project, but we decided not to use them for CARBON for one major reason: As a Canadian company, we are forced to use Canadian dollars when running a project through Kickstarter. Because of recent instability of the Canadian dollar, this adds significant risk to us and to our supporters. Since we do business in US dollars, this was a show stopper for us. Other crowdfunding sites have a less-than-decent reputation, and we didn't want to be lumped in with scams and failed projects. Also, despite the shiny interface, crowdfunding sites don't really offer much advantage to backers or project creators. By running our own crowdfunding campaign we are able to be more accountable to our backers, and use the currency that most of our suppliers and backers use. This reduces risk and makes the process more efficient so we can offer a great product at a great price, and deliver it on time.
We hope that you will join us!
Kilpatrick Audio is developing a new project called Carbon and to do so we are raising the money we need through crowdfunding. Set out below are the terms and conditions of our CARBON crowdfunding project.
- The CARBON crowdfunding campaign will end on January 4, 2016 at 11:59 EDT.
- Up to two rewards can be claimed per person. Orders which exceed two units per person will be refunded.
- If the goal of $68,000 USD is not reached your pledge will be returned.
- Pledges are charged in USD. If your pledge is returned or refunded you may receive a different amount if your credit card is not in USD currency due to exchange rate fluctuations and currency conversion fees charged by your bank. Kilpatrick Audio does not charge any fees for returns or refunds.
- Refunds can be requested by emailing: email@example.com up until the end of the campaign.
- Refunds will be processed within 24 hours.
- After the campaign ends refunds cannot be processed. Kilpatrick Audio relies on your commitment so that the project can move forward. We appreciate the support of our backers for the CARBON project.
- Product specifications may be subject to minor changes during the development process that may be necessary to improve the operation of CARBON or its manufacture.
- The model shown in crowdfunding media is a prototype. Production units may differ slightly in appearance.
- Shipping dates are estimates. Backers will be kept informed of the project progress through update emails on a regular basis. By backing CARBON you agree to be part of a CARBON mailing list that will inform you of important developments regarding the project.
- Kilpatrick Audio reserves the right to cancel any order if we suspect unfair or malicious activities. We want to make sure everyone has a fair chance to participate in our campaign.